A Short History of DECHEMA

 


1918 Fachgruppe für chemisches Apparatewesen (the Working Party on Chemical Apparatus) was founded in the Verein Deutscher Chemiker (German Chemical Society).
1920 The first ACHEMA organised in Hanover.
1925 ACHEMA IV in Nuremberg. Publication of the first ACHEMA Yearbook.
1926 Founding of the DECHEMA on 26 May in Kiel.
1930 ACHEMA VI in Frankfurt am Main.
Publication of the first DECHEMA Monograph.
1934 The DECHEMA's administration moved from Seelze near Hanover to Berlin.
1936 Founding of the Max-Buchner-Forschungsstiftung (a foundation to support chemical research).
1937 ACHEMA VIII in Frankfurt am Main. Discussion with the city council on a relocation of the DECHEMA.
1939 The DECHEMA's administration moved to the present site in Frankfurt am Main.
1944 Destruction of the DECHEMA Building.
1947 Resumption of the society's activities in Frankfurt am Main.
1951 The DECHEMA Building rebuilt.
1952 The first DECHEMA colloquium. The first DECHEMA medal awarded by the Max-Buchner-Forschungsstiftung.
1953 The European Federation of Chemical Engineering established.
The DECHEMA-Institut für Apparate- und Stoffkunde (a predecessor of DECHEMA Institut) formed.
1955 The European Federation of Corrosion founded.
1956 Founding of the first working parties on chemical reaction engineering, and corrosion and corrosion protection.
1961 The first building phase of the DECHEMA-Institut ended.
The DECHEMA became a member of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft industrieller Forschungsvereinigungen (AiF) - a cooperative German applied research organisation.
1963 DECHEMA continuing education courses began.
1964 First Tutzing-Symposion.
Formation of the DECHEMA's Information and Documentation Service.
1966 The second building phase of the DECHEMA-Institut ended.
1970 DECHEMA-Institut renamed "Karl-Winnacker-Institut“.
1974 Organisation of the BMFT (Federal Ministry for Research and Technology) programme: Corrosion and Corrosion Protection. The DECHEMA's Chemistry Data Service initiated.
1976 ACHEMA 76 - Publication of the first Environmental Protection Catalogue.
1977 Formation of FIZ, the Fachinformationszentrum Chemie (Centre for Chemical Information) with participation of DECHEMA.
1978 Founding of the European Federation of Biotechnology.
1981 Founding of the Deutsche Vereinigung für Chemie- und Verfahrenstechnik DVCV (a coalition of the chemical and engineering societies DECHEMA and GVC).
1985 The DECHEMA's name: DECHEMA Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chemisches Apparatewesen, Chemische Technik und Biotechnologie e.V. (German Society for Chemical Apparatus, Chemical Engineering, and Biotechnology) used for the first time.
1986 The third building phase of the Karl-Winnacker-Institut - the Continuing Education Centre - ended.
1989 First ACHEMASIA in Beijing, PR China.
1993 Concluding symposium of the programme: Corrosion and Corrosion Protection.
Founding of the first DECHEMA Subject Divisions.
1996 Founding of the Vereinigung deutscher Biotechnologie-Unternehmen VBU (an association of German biotechnology companies).
1997 Opening of the new building on the DECHEMA site.
1st Edition of WOICE of ACHEMA World Catalogue of International Chemical Equipment.
25th ACHEMA
1999 New streamlined name: DECHEMA Gesellschaft für Chemische Technik und Biotechnologie e.V. (Society for Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology)
2001 DECHEMA's 75th Jubilee
2002 First ACHEMAMERICA in Mexico-City, Mexico

back

Events
Become a member